Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Lesotho Photo Dump 2016

I have hundreds of extra photos that never make it into my blogs.  Many of them are different views of photos I’ve posted in previous blogs.  Others are more novel but never made it into a blog because of subject matter, composition, or I just wasn’t happy with the image at the time.  Rather than letting these photos waste away on my hard drive I thought I would share them in one big photo dump.  

Lesotho’s landscape is incredibly diverse for being such a small country.  I’ve offered up plenty of photos, which I hope have demonstrated both the diversity and beauty that this country contains.

I haven’t talked much about the food in Lesotho.  It’s just not that remarkable to me.  As an example, the woman in the middle photo above is eating a chicken foot.

I’m a huge fan of goofy hats.  Thankfully Lesotho is full of them.  There are even buildings, which are shaped like hats.

I’ve quite literally taken thousands of pictures of sporting events around Lesotho.  Even when there is no ball around, the children will make one out of old plastic shopping bags.

Dancing is ingrained within many African cultures and the Basotho are no exception.  It’s rare to hear music and not have at least one individual dancing in front of the speaker.  

The rest of this blog contains several collages I’ve made over the past few weeks.  
I hope you enjoy.



I can’t wait to see Melinda again at the end of this month.  Stay tuned.



Peace,

- Joel

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed looking at your collages. They open a window into the culture and people of this country. I knew very little about Lesotho. Very interesting. I'm wondering what is their staple food.
    Thanks for sharing your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lilian,

      Thanks for reading, I'm glad you enjoyed it. The Basotho staple is a finely ground corn meal called papa. When cooked properly, it's dry and mild tasting. It goes well with almost anything and takes on added flavors very well. Unfortunately it's lacking in a lot of nutrition but it holds off hunger for a while.

      - Joel

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the answer.You know I look at your work with admiration. I have a Bachelor in Nursing and have been thinking about participating in a Peace Corps Project in Africa or South America. I speak and understand French, so I could go in a French speaking African country. But I have two children who (11 and 13 years old) and they need me at home for now. You are an inspiration and I hope to do my part one day in helping other people like you do. The way to go, Joel. Kudos to you!
    There is hope in this world. Blessings and peace. Liliana

    ReplyDelete